Knol is completing its first year public life. What are its strengths and weaknesses?
Started by Google Which is a savvy player in Website business domain.
Technical competence of Google in software as well as in efficienty using hardware to deliver exceptional service to website visitors.
Knol has positioned itself a knowledge site committed to promote online learning (It has not given undue importance to advertising).
* Late entry into the market with a well established market leader.
* No special technology innovation in the platform.
* Low key entry.
* Lack of a visible "knowledge expert team" that is guiding the roll out.
* Revenue model for authors (First year nobody made any significant revenue).
* Many institutes have not provided publishing opportunity to their faculty.
* Ph.d theses can be published on knol.
* School/College/Institute/Alumni Magazines can have knol versions.
* Management Development Course Modules can be hosted on knol.
* While negative publicity has subsided it may resurface as competitors feel if they cannot attack now, there is no chance in the future.